Dr. Charles Edward Weaver, Founder of Georgia Tech's School of Geophysical Sciences, 1970-1981.
Dr. Charles Edward Weaver, who resided on Saint Simons Island, GA, passed away early morning Tuesday, September 12, 2017. He was born in Lock Haven, PA, in 1925 and served as a naval lieutenant during World War II serving in the battle of Okinawa.
He later matriculated at Penn State University where he received a Ph.D. in mineralogy in 1952. He embarked on an illustrious career in the oil business first with Shell Oil in Houston, TX, followed by Continental Oil in Ponca City, OK, where he distinguished himself internationally with groundbreaking research in the field of clay mineralogy, shale and sedimentology and its correlation to oil deposits.
Dr. Weaver then joined the Georgia Institute of Technology (Georgia Tech) as an associate professor of geology. He founded and was the first director of the School of Geophysical Sciences from 1970 to 1981. During his 22 years at Georgia Tech, he published more than 40 scientific papers, administered 11 large research grants and authored five academic books including "Chemistry of Clay Minerals," an authoritative reference book which he co-authored with Lin Pollard.
Dr. Weaver has received numerous awards including the Mineralogical Society of America Award as the outstanding mineralogist under the age of 35 in 1958, the first person from industry to receive the award; a Battelle Memorial Institute Award for Exceptional Performance in 1979 for his work in shale and high-level radioactive waste; a Distinguished Member Award from The Clay Minerals Society in 1985, and he was honored with a Regents Professorship at Georgia Tech in 1982. He was president of the Georgia Geological Society in 1966 and president of The Clay Minerals Society in 1968.
In addition, he created the "Weaver Index" a geological standard of measure evaluating grades of metamorphism. Dr. Weaver was an avid athlete, playing tennis and racquet ball into his 80s and running up to 6 miles a day well into his 60s. After he retired with his wife, Jan, in the early 80s, splitting their time between Highlands, NC, and Saint Simons Island, GA, he took up pottery and continued a life-long fly fishing hobby.