This program is designed specifically for students who already have a Bachelor's degree and are interested in switching fields to meteorology.
The Professional Track Masters takes 9 months.
- Students are responsible for their tuition.
- A student completing this MS degree can have all the course requirements for membership to the American Meteorological Society and for employment by NOAA and the National Weather Service.
Requirements for getting into the program:
- Georgia Tech requires a 2.7 GPA to be admitted into a graduate program. However, admission is on a competitive basis. Our recently admitted graduate students have had an average GPA of 3.3 and an average Quantitative GRE of 720, Analytical GRE 640 and Verbal GRE 510.
- Students with a Bachelor of Science and/or Engineering generally have the background to pursue our MS degree. However, since not all students applying already have that background, the specific courses needed are:
- 4 semesters of Calculus (Calc I, II, vector Calc, and Differential Equations)
- 2 semesters of calculus based Physics
- (optional but helpful) 1 semester Chemistry with Lab
A sample MS course load:
6502 Fluid Dynamics
6140 Thermo of Atmos and Ocean
8901 Special Problems (research with faculty)
4460 Radar and Satellite Meteorology
8803 Climate and Global Change
8803 Dynamics 2
4450 Synoptic Meteorology
8901 Research in Meteorological Analysis
6432 Large Scale Meteorology
Atmospheric Elective 6000+